Thank you Markus!   This is good information to have!   I appreciate it
   very much, and I hope all is well.
   Ed

   On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Markus Lutz <[1]mar...@gmlutz.de>
   wrote:

   Am 30.03.2018 um 18:09 schrieb Edward Martin:

         Dear Ones,
         Thank you for the fascinating discussion particularly in the
     area of
         Jacques de Saint Luc.    Anna, thank you for including
     mentioning me in
         the discussion, as I authored an article about St. Luc in a
     recent Lute
         Society of America Quarterly.
         I am a performer, not a scholar, and I merely quoted those who
     have
         written on the topic of St. Luc, and I have done no primary
     research
         into this area.    The big question is who authored the majority
     of his
         works; was it indeed Jacques (b. 1616), or his sons
     Jacques-Alexandre
         (b. 1663) or Laurent (b. 1669) ?    According to the Scholar
     Phillipe
         Vendrix, there is no conclusive evidence that either of his sons
     were
         involved with music.

   Dear Edward,
   this is the new thing, that Manuel Couvreur found, the marriage entry
   from May 1705, where it clearly is stated that Laurent is lutenist by
   profession (Lautenist). So he for sure has been involved with music.
   The other thing, that I wondered about - it is not very reasonable to
   have a very old man playing the lute in Berlin in a fascinating way and
   there is no mentioning that he was very old.
   So for all probability the lutenist playing in Berlin was one of his
   sons.
   Manuel Couvreur has no positive identification that the St. Luc around
   the time of 1700 is Laurent, but this has a very high probability in my
   opinion as he had been lutenist as his father.
   That old people can still be good musicians cannot be denied, but
   anyway the conclusions of Manuel Couvreur seem to be quite convincing,
   even if they are no 100% proof.
   Best regards
   Markus

         The confusion is that if Jacques died around
         1710, in his mid 90's, it would seem that he would have been
     very old
         to still be involved with music performance or composition.
     However,
         there are a few examples of great musical people from the time
     living
         to a very old age, such as Telemann and Stradivarius.
         I was unaware that Evangelina Mascardi has a recording available
     of
         music for St. Luc;    I just ordered it and look forward to
     reading the
         notes by   Manuel Couvreur as well of hearing Mascardi's
     interpretation.
         I do not have an opinion on the matter of defining authorship,
     but
         rather I have a natural curiosity on the topic.    If anyone has
         evidence in defining the true author, I would enthusiastically
     love to
         read the results.
         With very best wishes,
         Edward Martin
         On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 8:08 AM, stephan.olbertz