Pretty much _every_ 500 year old language used words differenty :-)
Even 150 year is more than enough to change the meaning of words.
As for Valderrabano: I'd translate that as 'forrest of the sirens' i.e. those
mythological creatures that lured sailors into dangerous cliffs by means
of their beautiful singing.

Many years ago a translation of instruction from a German lute book were
published by the LSA.

The translator -  who certainly spoke German very well - didn't know that in those days
"anhebt" meant "starts" and misinterpreted it as a finger movement.

I am used to read old German texts back to 1500 but I guess texts from the 14th
century are almost incomprehensible for Germans :)

Virdung's orthography is already horrible :)

Rainer