Am Sonntag, 22. April 2018 17:44 CEST, David van Ooijen
<davidvanooi...@gmail.com> schrieb:

>    What I understood from the discussion is that recto and verso can be
>    ambiguous, as in scripts that read right to left the order is reversed
>    and scrolls open up yet another can of worms. So some scholars opt for
>    a and b instead. The use of a and b in Van Baak Grifiioen is clear when
>    you open a page in the facsimile: left is a, right is b.
>    David

Well, one benefit of the folio (recto/verso) notation is  that a the two
pysically stay together,
even if the manuscript&book pages get out of order (which happens more often
than one would
expect). Also, for our field of interest in this mailing list, the problem with
different writing directions
is rather theoretical. And let's not forget that the folio system is the one
used by the creators of
those books/manuscripts (so the originsl toc most likely uses it).
One benefit of the 'opening' system is that a lot of music manuscripts are
aranged in openings, so
pieces tend to stay on one opening.

 Cheers, RalfD