   From:Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   To:magnus andersson <maan7...@yahoo.com>; Lute Net
   <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wednesday, 2 May 2018, 8:13
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Experiences with double strung theorbo
     Dear Magnus,
     From the historical evidence and extant instruments, the double
   strung
     theorbo seemed at least as common as the single strung instrument.
     However generally not with doubled basses but mostly (pace the fine
     Puget painting)  in the configuration of only the fingered strings
     being double: the basses were generally single as on the instruments
     with single fingered courses. How this was reflected by contemporary
     professional theorbo players in, say, the opera house, who may have
     favoured single stringing throughout to enable a robust tone is, I
     suggest, an area still awaiting to be fully explored
     Regarding your experiences with double stringing: yours are similar
     mine in that the double fingered strung instrument sound is
   penetrating
     and 'seems' to be almost as loud as the single strung even with
     fingered string tensions at around 60/70% of the single version.  I
   put
     this phenomenon down to: - the presence of more upper partials with
     thinner strings which produce ' brightness' ; - and also to some
   extent
     to the slight, but telling, difference in tuning of the double
   courses
     which, as on the lute, can give an edge to the sound (similarly,
   piano
     tuners can slightly put unisons out of tune to emphasise the beating
     and thus the penetration).
     Keep up the good work on the unjustly neglected double strung
     instrument............
     regards
     Martyn