Food for thought, thank you for those quotes.
   I always explain MT to my pupils with a piece of paper and a pencil,
   then let them use their ears to position their frets, and finally
   explain about easy way out with the computer/tuner options.
   Out there with keyboard players I rely on a tuner, but many of my
   fretted colleages (viols, violones and lutes/theorbos) still sit with
   their instrument behind the keyboard, adjusting fret by fret to ear.
   It is indeed a fact of modern day early music life that we cannot
   survive without knowing how to set some sort of non ET on our continuo
   lutes.
   David
   David van Ooijen
   [1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com