On t he other hand, if you looks at how Bob Barto holds the lute it’s quite
vertical, with him peeking over the soundboard to see his left hand. The
gravity method won’t work with your thumb off the lute, but you can practice
relaxing it, and thinking of your elbow pulled by gravity towards the floor. Or
so it seems to me. But perhaps baroque lute holding technique is different.
Shoulder and butt strap needed.

Dick Brook