Hi Howard,
You might be interested in this video which summarizes some of the research
carried out by David Crystal et al on English pronunciation at the time of
Shakespeare (and Dowland) and the productions of his plays at the Globe theatre
using 'Original Pronunciation':
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
There is also an interesting book edited by Timothy McGee entitled 'Singing
Early Music - the pronunciation of European languages in the Late Middle Ages
and Renaissance'.
Best,
Matthew