How wise and zen.
   Thanks for the reminder,

   Susan

   ElizabethanConversation.com

   On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 9:22 PM Tobiah <[1]t...@tobiah.org> wrote:

     I was just playing a favored piece, and a familiar thought came to
     mind.   Slow down, and savor, and be faithful to every note. These
     composers were wrestling with an instrument that could only *just*
     muster the counterpoint and harmony they had in mind, and was then
     only
     realized when in the hands of an accomplished player who understood
     those aspects just the same.   One bass note missed, or a botched
     note of
     a sparsely expressed melody can ruin the otherwise perceived beauty
     of
     expression that was the intent of the composer.
     It's wonderful to play and hear lute music at a rapid tempo, so that
     we
     can better witness the expression of the composer where his master
     craft
     actually lay: in the macro parts of the composition.   A balance
     must be
     struck however while we as players develop, so that our desire to
     master
     the intent of the composition does not suffer from inattention to
     the
     fragments that make the mosaic.   In lute music, if a trill, or a
     beat or
     a note is lost, the phrase can be lost, and so an entire section of
     the
     piece, and in accordance, the attention of the listener, that so
     often
     gets lost to the competing chambers of her mind.
     My advice is to be mindful of both scales (of time): the magnified
     finger change between two awkward positions, balanced with the
     patient
     understanding of the passage between phrases and sections.
     There was a more concise quote by a composer of who's name I'm sure
     will soon be reminded.   It said in more impressive language, or
     simpler,
     which might also be more impressive, that one might practice slowly,
     and
     progress quickly.
     Tobiah