I should have said, since images don't get transmitted, that it was a 9 course 1x1, 8x2 and that any treble rider was out of sight in that photo, but I have another which shows that there was no treble rider and shows the correct number of pegs for the 9 course as above. Weirdly Dolmetsch decided to make it 9x2 when he altered it.

1598 is a bit early for a 9 course though not impossible and certainly the pegbox looks utterly okay for an original.

Best wishes,

DAvid

Well here it is before the surgery!!

Best wishes,