From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu> On Behalf Of George
Arndt
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2019 5:56 PM
To: pathfin...@qwestoffice.net; Lynda Kraar <guitargirl4scrab...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Wim Loos <wjglso...@gmail.com>; LuteNet list <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>;
George Arndt <george.ar...@hotmail.com>
Subject: [LUTE] Fishing line lute strings

   Hello lute friends:

   I have been using fishing line on my lutes these past 4 years and find
   it acceptable for playing in public.

   Look for mono-filament fishing line having the same diameter as lute
   strings. Spools for smaller diameter line have 500 meters or more and
   this will last you a lifetime. I am using a few spools that are 40
   years old right out of my tackle box.  Mono-filament stretches for a
   week or so at room temperature and will then hold normal pitch.

   If lute pegs slip and won't maintain pitch, and chalk or peg dope do
   not work to maintain proper peg friction, then replace the individual
   string with smaller diameter fishing line.  If the sound volume of a
   new fishing line / string is insufficient in relation to adjacent
   stings, then replace that string with a slightly larger diameter.

   The only modification I have made over the years has been to file a
   slightly larger grove in the original nut to accommodate a larger
   string diameter. I learned to make new nuts for my long lutes to space
   pairs of unstopped strings apart an additional mm or two, so larger
   diameter strings do not interfere with each other.  If your baroque or
   arch lute has been professionally set-up you will notice this feature.

   Colored fishing line works great and provides visual reference for
   lutes with many strings.

   You can purchase salt-water mono-filament fishing line "leaders" from
   the internet to use for unstopped bass strings.   The fishing lines I
   use range from 250 pound test for bass down to 15 pound test for lute
   chantrells.  Fishing line size 90 pound test and less is available at
   most stores catering to freshwater sport fishing.

   I tried plastic lawn trimmer line and found it to us unsatisfactory for
   lute strings. This is because the material density is less than fishing
   line and these strings produce insufficient sound. Weed trimmer line
   comes in many profiles to improve cutting and non-round profiles are
   not comfortable on the fingers.  Braided fishing line is abrasive to
   the skin and unsuitable to use as lute strings. Avoid lead-core fishing
   line. Greater density enables it to sink to depth behind a moving boat
   more rapidly. If lead dust moved from the core to the surface of a
   string when it vibrates; lead on your fingertips may end up in your
   mouth and is a health hazard. So, avoid using lead core fishing line
   for strings.

   Mono-filament fishing line in a variety of plastic materials is
   recommended as a cost-effective substitute for lute strings and tied
   frets.

   Thanks,

   George Arndt