Thank you Yuval and Howard for this detailed information.

One point Howard makes is that Beethoven wanted more money than Haydn because he added both  a violin and bass line. First it is a fascinating -- if down to earth -- insight on how musicians made (or begged or haggled for) a living. And probably still do. But it leaves me puzzled because Haydn's Barbara Allen does consist of the voice part, a violin part and a figured bass (the collection title indicates "in three parts") - so I guess the same thing Beethoven claimed to provide: The equivalent of "I'll throw in an extra topping of mushrooms on the mushroom pizza for topence more"...?

Two final thoughts: I think figured bass was fading out of use at that time (early 19th century), yet the Barbara Allen score seems to me overly figured. I assume that musicians proficient with continuo markings would only indicate the rather less obvious harmonies - not every chord. (?) Then, I find Haydn's arrangement rather uninspired and almost at odds with the Romantic spirit behind a Burns' style of poetry. Looking backwards rather than forward. At least in this version: https://www.allmusic.com/album/haydn-folksong-arrangements-vol-5-scottish-songs-for-william-napier-i-mw0001398204

One of Haydn's 400+ arrangements includes a tune famous with lutenists: John come kiss me now. see: https://www.allmusic.com/performance/john-come-kiss-me-now-when-charming-chloe-gently-walks-folk-song-for-voice-violin-keyboard-h-31a-41-mq0001227966

Sorry for musing aloud, but thanks for the interesting information I got.