   From: John Mardinly <john.mardi...@asu.edu>
   Date: 5/6/19 6:51 PM (GMT-05:00)
   To: Roland Hayes <rha...@legalaidbuffalo.org>
   Cc: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: De Visee

   More lacking than glue-on-nails might have been some of the modern
   files and abrasives used to polish the nails. Badly prepared nails give
   a terrible result for both sound and playability. My teacher back in
   1965 had studied with Segovia, and showed me how Segovia prepared his
   nails: after some filing, he used a wooden block with a saw-cut slot in
   it and a piece of chamois wrapped around the wooden block. The nail was
   then rubbed back and forth on the chamois over the slot, which acted as
   a track to guide the nail. When I began to study metallurgy and the art
   of cross-sectioning and polishing metals to view their microstructure,
   I experienced a revolution in materials to polish the nails that were
   quickly adopted by many people playing with nails.
   A. John Mardinly, Ph.D., P.E.
   > On May 6, 2019, at 3:34 PM, Roland Hayes <rha...@legalaidbuffalo.org>
   wrote:

   >   Do we think he played with nails? Lutenists did not as I
   understand,
   >   but
   >
   >   I have always thought his lute pieces were merely arrangements of
   >   guitar/theorbo pieces. For those instruments we can establish the
   use
   >   of nails.
   >
   >   And if deVisee played guitar with nails, then he most likely played
   >   theorbo with nails as well. Yes? Glue on nails had yet to arrive on
   the
   >   scene.
   >
   >   Get [1]Outlook for Android
   >
   >   This message is intended only for the use of the individual or
   entity
   >   to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
   >   privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
   applicable
   >   law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
   or
   >   the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the
   >   intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
   >   distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
   prohibited.
   >   If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
   >   immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at
   >   i...@legalaidbuffalo.org --
   >
   > References
   >
   >   1.
   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__aka.ms_ghei36&d=Dw
   IBAg&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=VLPJ8OE-c_C6joGeE1
   ftlvxMmQPq9N6mpKZONBRt90E&m�1m2M37zO3KCb5uTRtTMLYbh6c_tcz94RkH1fvvJqg&s
   =ctn5UU2dPJsBEQxzJcHstOUeERuDkBtXhs4pd0M0t-c&e=

   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cs.dartmouth.ed
   u_-7Ewbc_lute-2Dadmin_index.html&d=DwIBAg&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1Gy
   cN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=VLPJ8OE-c_C6joGeE1ftlvxMmQPq9N6mpKZONBRt90E&m�1m2M37
   zO3KCb5uTRtTMLYbh6c_tcz94RkH1fvvJqg&s=9RqBccAKKlP3oVcnl4UNupxF1MvNw_jgZ
   4VyNvSGyDk&e=