> On Jul 15, 2019, at 8:44 AM, theoj89...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu wrote:
>
> I would posit that the father has a much higher probability
>  of being more accurate, in that 'all pop music sounds the same', or
>  certainly -much- pop music sounds the same, no?

I couldn’t tell you.  First, you haven’t defined “pop music” by either genre or
time; second, whatever the definition is, I haven’t listened to enough of it to
form a judgment; and third, if I listened to enough of it to form a judgment, I
would be an aficionado attuned to its differences, and would therefore not
think it all sounded the same.

BTW, if your point is that there's a lot formula and fill-in-the-blanks in pop
music, the same is true of, say, Mozart’ symphonies (Mozart scholars talk about
“filler passages” that are interchangeable from one to another) and Handel’s
operas.  It doesn’t they aren’t good.