Louise Gottsched, who wrote the first biographic article about S. L.
   Weiss in her husband' BIG "Handlexicon" ("Handlexikon oder kurzgefaßtes
   Wörterbuch der schönen Wissenschaften und freyen Künste", Leipzig:
   Gleditsch, 1760), defines the swan neck lute as "theorbieret" (if I
   remember correctly) and of course attributes the idea to S. L. Weiss.
   Despite what some lutemakers seem to like, I wouldn't define the swan
   neck baroque lute as a "theorbo": it introduces much confusion in a
   field where we do not need to add more, I believe.
   ---- Attivato Sun, 18 Aug 2019 23:06:37 +0200 David Van Edwards
   <da...@vanedwards.co.uk> ha scritto ----

   Dear Howard,
   The Tielke is a bizarre German baroque swan neck
   style job with an extremely long neck probably
   the result of a conversion by Bachmann in 1760.
   The Tieffenbrucker is another swan neck
   instrument resulting from a conversion possibly
   by Fux though 1696 is a bit early unless it was
   then intended as an angelique.Neither are what we
   would nowadays call a theorbo, though of course
   the term was in use then for such instuments.
   Best wishes,
   David

   --
   The Smokehouse,