Yes I see what you mean, Martyn. It would be difficult to do that with
   a machine that's not dedicated entirely to recording.  There is I
   suppose a limit to the openness of omnipurpose devices.

   Thanks for that thought.

   The reason I am looking for a solution right now is that I ordered the
   new unsplit gut strings from Mimmo. I was hoping to record a few pieces
   with my lute as it is at present with split gut strings, and then
   record the same pieces with the new split gut. I am not entirely sure
   the recording device would be good enough to discriminate such a
   difference, but I do know audible memory is generally very poor, and
   can easily be biased. As I hope the new strings will be better, I
   probably would hear them as such, unless a side by side recording tells
   me clearly otherwise. Of course there is also the problem that strings
   take a few months to run in, so I'd have to record the same pieces over
   a few months.

   Well that is the idea but from my experience in experimental phonetics,
   I know this will never be entirely objective.

   Best

   Anthony
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

   Le lundi, décembre 16, 2019, 2:08 PM, Martyn Hodgson