Dear Nancy,
   I generally much prefer a facsimile of the original print or MS and
   sometimes wonder how the recent desire to put things into a modern
   uniform tablature edition has gained ground. In particular, the use of
   hand or engraving allowed and allows a more flexible approach in
   spacing etc which can better suggest interpretation and, in my view,
   usually makes reading easier. .
   Admittedly, with some originals the quality can be poor and difficult
   to read and, in these cases, I think a modern edition (employing
   tablature and spacings as close as possible to the original) is,
   indeed, perhaps the answer. However, collections such as that of 1638
   by Pierre Gaultier Orleanois are, in my view, perfectly readable  - my
   own photocopy of a microfilm print has a few background shadings but
   these could be cleaned up electronically I suspect to a condition
   closer to that when the collection was first printed.
   In short, players should feel encouraged to play direct from such
   rather than modern printed editions which impose a uniform and
   Procrustean style favoured by the modern editor.
   Martyn Hodgson

   On Friday, 20 December 2019, 20:14:25 GMT, Nancy Carlin