Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2020 18:32 CEST, Monica Hall
<mjlh...@mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> schrieb:

> I still don't get it!
>
> Neither picture seems to make sense to me even when put side to side. In the
> Lute player the back view of the instrument is shown but the peg box is
> skewed to the front. The peg box is curved and the pegs inserted laterally.

To me the "lute" almost looks like some kind of mandora/gallichon and the
perspective (esp. of the pegbox) looks
dlightly distorted.

> In the Theorbo player the back view of the instrument is shown and the lower
> peg box is in line with the neck but the upper peg box is skewed to the front.

That skewedness I can't see.

> With your left arm stretched out it is almost impossible to get your hand
> into the position shown.

As a (former) theorbo player I don't agree. That's exactly how I would do it,
esp. if I need to tune up while slightly pushing the peg
into the peg hole.

>  And where is his right arm. Normally you would be plucking the string to
> hear if it were in tune.

Looks like he's pluging the string over the rose or even higher up the string
where the neck meets the body. Not unseen once
the instrument reaches a certain size.

 Cheers RalfD

--
Ralf Mattes