I agree whole heartedly with 2nd paragraph, Ron, and most of the first
   but, having copied or studied a number of books from the period
   specifically with dots in mind, I have found very few wayward dots. As
   it requires an extra step to add that dot, either with quill or lead,
   I've tried to give the copiest the benefit of the doubt. If it's in an
   odd place, I'll look for further instances within that source for that
   anomaly and I've usually found them.
   Sometimes it occurs on successive treble notes (without bass) moving
   from a higher to the next lower course whether on the beat or not, the
   pattern repeating often enough to show that it is deliberate. I can't
   remember off the top of my head which books but I could do a little dot
   hunting to follow up if you'd like.
   Sometimes in an obvious mistake it is shifted a cipher to the right or
   left but not often.
   Sean

   On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 9:03 AM Ron Andrico <[1]praelu...@hotmail.com>