Hi Ed
   It looks like the groove for the string isn't wide enough, and has a
   sharp top edge which is cutting into the string.
   Ideally the nut grooves should be wider than the string diameter, so it
   touches only at the bottom and the grooves only guide the string and do
   not offer any friction along the string length.
   So if possible you could try to gently widen the nut grooves with a
   fine round diamond file, then polish with a thread of twine dipped in
   polish compound. Or if you have a friendly lute maker, he or she can
   easily sort it out.
   Hope this helps
    - Luke