On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 04:18:31 PM Craig Sanders via luv-main wrote:
> (alternatively, some of the fans in the servers **may** be replaceable
> with quiet fans - many available from Quiet PC)

1RU systems have small diameter fans which have to spin at high speeds to get
enough air flow which is always going to make more noise than the larger fans
in 2RU servers or tower systems.

If you are going to run a server where noise matters get a tower server.  If
it has SSDs and isn't going CPU intensive things then it will be very quiet.

As for the Sun servers I'm offering.  They are old and somewhat slow by today's
standards.  If they can work for someone as they currently are then that's
great.  If they need to have anything done with them then it's probably not
worth it.