On 12/01/16 17:18, Tennessee Leeuwenburg via luv-main wrote:
Based on my general new article reading, I thought everything above 6GB
was using shingled storage which doesn't interest me so much. I'd be
interested if you find out otherwise.

There's some 6T & even (I believe, but can't find) 8T drives that aren't SMR, but it's something to be very careful about.

HGST (Formerly IBMs drive arm, then Hitachi, now part of WD) have announced a 10T drive that's not SMR, so there's hope.

At this point I'm placing my bets on something like a log structured filesystem with SSD or X-Point cache fronting it.