On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 10:12:12 AM Piers Rowan via luv-main wrote:

> The server is a VM on a host server that also provides http / mysql
> services. The host server runs cron jobs to poll the email server
> (importing data from mail boxes into the CRM) so - to clutch at straws -
> I am not sure if the host and guest are competing for the disk IO at the
> same time with these calls. Contrary to that is that the host server
> does not experience any slow downs.

Some ideas that I've not seen mentioned before yet:

1) perf top - to see where the system is spending time as a whole (and if you
need to drill down on a process you can do perf top -p $PID).

2) latencytop - as long as your kernel has CONFIG_LATENCYTOP

3) iotop - if your version is new enough then the -o option will hide idle
processes, otherwise just press 'o' when you get the main display.

Best of luck!
Chris