On 14/06/2016 9:59 AM, Peter Ross wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>

>     Setting up Asterix or FreePBX or anything similar is not something
>     that
>     should be done lightly.  VoIP providers lose an awful lot of money if
>     there are any loop holes in their setup; perhaps even just a weak
>     password.  So, it is a serious risk situation, potentially; especially
>     when there are continual software updates to fix vulnerabilities
>     in all
>     kinds of software.
>
>     I'm not saying don't do it, but I am saying that you have to
>     understand
>     the risks and perhaps you would be better off not doing it.
>

> Hi Andrew,
>
> can you elaborate a bit about Asterisk/FreePBX security issues?
I install Asterisk systems for a VoIP providers and the biggest mistake
is allowing any sort of external SIP traffic.

Always double check that your router does not auto open a port for the
SIP (SIP ALG can do this, I always disable SIP ALG). If remote access is
needed use IAX and have a remote install of Asterisk, or in the worst
case use a VPN for remote phones. (Yealink phones have a OpenVPN client)
Always use a user name which is different from the extension and strong
passwords.
The packaged versions of Asterisk are generally secure as long as there
is no external direct access.

Never had a machine hacked or unauthorised calls made if the rules are
followed but had a number of them when they where not.

Mike