Hi,
I have a couple of Intel NUCs (dual core celeron CPUs, Intel chipsets
including video (i915 kernel module)) that I'm trying to use for a project.

To simplify matters I was going to use the framebuffer device for video
output -- but the HDMI defaults to 1920x1080 and I'd really like to change
the resolution to match the projector's native resolution, which is
1024x768.

I've tried using fbset, as in:
$ fbset -geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
but rather than change the HDMI output, it just makes the console occupy a
smaller part of the screen. How useless!

I tried using fbset like this too:
$ fbset 1024x768-32
(where that mode is listed in /etc/fb.modes)
but it just threw some errors back.

Am I doing it wrong? Or is it possible that the framebuffer device for this
video device just doesn't let you change the resolution?

I guess it's not a disaster if I install a minimal X setup, but first.. any
suggestions for fbset?