>time when we have 2 separate instances of Drupal and I don't want
>anyone to
>make changes to the old one that get lost.

Re the backend MySQL storage, you make the new MySQL instance a slave of the
old one. That way nothing can get lost.
We've find this many times with large systems. No outage and no data loss.

By the way, things tend to actually work out better in many respects to NOT
have frontend and database on the same VM. This is generally the first step we
take in creating resilient and scalable environments.

There are many disadvantages to combining all services onto the same box. In vm
hire terms, it may also be cheaper to use more smaller instances as the pricing
model favours those.

Regards,
Arjen.