On Wednesday, 19 June 2019 5:42:09 PM AEST Erik Christiansen via luv-main
wrote:
> On 19.06.19 17:14, Russell Coker via luv-main wrote:
> > I wrote a mon script to monitor swap use because catching systems when
> > memory use gets excessive before they go Oom is a good thing.
> >
> > When I deployed it I was notified of one of my servers which had 99%
> > of the 2G of swap used but also 7G of "buff/cache" memory according to
> > top and seemed to be running nicely like that.
> >
> > Would it give a better result to ignore the amount of swap in use and
> > instead monitor the percentage of RAM used for buff/cache? -- Sent
> > from my Huawei Mate 9 with K-9 Mail.
>
> What about reporting both? Then users could get a feel for how the
> balance pans out for them, I figure. (Assuming that the script is
> destined for the wild?)

It's designed for common usage, it's in the "mon" package in Debian.  But I
try to avoid adding useless features and to make defaults that are reasonably
useful.

> This aging host is growing slow, and checking up on what happens
> especially when iceweasel ploughs into treacle, would be useful.
>
> Mind you, sometimes X just locks up, and I'd have to find and fire up
> another host to whack it through ssh. Reset works.

I've been meaning to get into monit which can restart things automatically.