On Tuesday, 28 May 2019 4:27:53 PM AEST Duncan Roe via luv-main wrote:
> Following Andrew's exhortations at the last main meeting, I built 5.1 and
> installed it on my laptop.

I usually try to avoid building kernels, compiling a kernel with the same
settings as Debian uses takes too long and changing the settings to a minimal
set that matches what I want to do is more effort than I want.  Currently
Debian/Experimental only has 5.0.

> I went back to 5.0 and checked what was in debug.log (which logs
> everything). And there was nothing at all! No hint that 5.1 had ever
> started - just a 7 minute gap between the last 5.0 shutdown and 5.0
> starting.

Did any other log file have anything in that time period?

Was networking operational, could you ping it?  If so network logging might
work.

Did you try configuring your system to disable video mode changes?

Serial console might be an option, but not many systems have proper serial
ports nowadays.

> Have you seen this email before? Please mail me off-list if so.
>
> I originally sent this on 13th May but didn't see it come back.

It got delivered to me then and was in my lists folder with lots of other
unread mail from months ago.  Maybe people just couldn't think of good
suggestions to offer you.