Hi Manoj,

Thank you for your response. I have had a look at those links, and they are quite a bit "over my head", so I wonder if I should use the rescue disk to facilitate shifting my ~/working directory to my RAID disks. (Nothing else is of any consequence) and then use a Ubuntu 18.10 DVD to upgrade the distribution and hopefully create a new GRUB on (in old terms) /dev/sda3

Thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew Greig