On Friday, 29 May 2020 11:20:45 AM AEST James McGlashan via luv-main wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:08:50AM +0930, Mike O'Connor via luv-main wrote:
> > Roundcube, seems to be ok.
>
> Every instance of Squirrelmail I've seen has migrated to Roundcube.

I've just installed Roundcube.  The problem I had was that one significant
webmail user complained that Squirrelmail had started messing up the display
of some messages, I suspect it was due to the transition of certain MUAs to
sending base64 encoded Subject lines etc (but never got to the bottom of it -
my email worked fine in Squirrelmail).

Another significant webmail user then complained that Roundcube didn't render
properly on the latest Galaxy Note phonem, he showed me screen shots of it
only using half the screen width.

So now I'm supporting 2 webmail systems.

> After a quick look through their documentation; the former doesn't appear to
> require a relational database, while the latter does. Let that be MySQL,
> PostgreSQL, or sqlite.

You need to store webmail settings somewhere.  Using a choice of sqlite or a
database server allows running multiple web servers with a single database
server backend.  Using just flat files as Squirrelmail does means you probably
need a distributed filesystem (or at least an NFS server) if you want to have
multiple web frontends.

> I wouldn't trust any PHP or SQL stack but I don't have any better
> suggestions for webmail.

A SQL server is a lot easier to get right than a distributed filesystem.  Even
an NFS server can make things more difficult.

> Attached below, major security update just a month ago. If you install
> Roundcube, be careful with the versions.

I'll trust the Debian developers to package the security updates fast enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.