On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 at 17:19, Andrew Greig via luv-main
<luv-main@luv.asn.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to populate a drive with music and I have encountered some
> folders of .ogg files and I wish to convert them to .mp3
>
> I am following along with a description of the process found here
> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-batch-convert-music-files-with-ffmpeg
>
> Does this look right, please?

Hi,

One way to test if this script does what you want would be
to temporarily change this line:

>          ffmpeg -i "$filename" $opts "$destDir"/"$baseName"."$destExt"

by adding 'echo' to the front of it, thus:

  echo ffmpeg -i "$filename" $opts "$destDir"/"$baseName"."$destExt"

And then run the script and visually confirm the commands it echoes
are what you want it to run.

Another useful test is to paste the entire script into the site
  https://www.shellcheck.net/
and read whatever advice it provides.

Most shell scripting guides contain bad advice. This is a good
one:
  http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
  http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ