On 18/12/22 18:52, Piers Rowan via luv-main wrote:
So CentOS is going away where to next?

CentOS Stream, perhaps? It's reputed to be only slightly ahead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

My main concern about CentOS and similar distributions, though, is that there reportedly isn't a supported, in-place upgrade procedure between major releases.

I'm currently running Fedora on a server, which isn't the optimal choice, but neither is it so problematic that reinstalling and reconfiguring everything under a different distribution has become a priority. I probably will reinstall and rework at some stage.

On the desktop, my recent experiences are with Arch Linux (my machine) and Debian testing (family's machine, of which I'm the administrator). Both distributions have been excellent.

I've also heard positive comments about Nix OS, which has been covered extensively on Linux Unplugged <https://linuxunplugged.com/>.

I take the view that many distributions can enable you to achieve what you want, but some will make it easier than others, depending on what your priorities, preferences, and objectives are.

It seems to me that understanding the distribution's values, priorities and policies is important; make sure they align with yours (at least, for purposes of the specific project).