A couple weeks ago I posted this question:

"I have a situation where the LwIP is a client and I have compiled with SO_REUSE = 1, but the reconnect fails with error -8 (in use).  After searching a while I see that the LwIP is waiting for LAST_ACK, but the server never sends it.  What can I do to force the internal pcb's to timeout and just allow a reconnect to proceed instead of thinking the connection is still live?"

The answer is to use tcp_abandon() when the pcb->state == 9.  This removes the pcb from the "time wait" list and allows the connection to re-establish.  For anyone's future reference if you have a similar problem.

Mike