Hello Lars,

However, I have no idea how to do that. Is it possible to create a
container locally and pack it up to be extracted somewhere else? Would
that even be portable? If so, is there tooling for that? I use
configuration management for everything else already; LXC so far is the
only thing I haven't automated.

You can use the tools provided here:
https://github.com/lxc/lxc-ci

To produce a custom templates, you will have to adapt some file in lxc-ci/templates and then run bin/build-image. I did it a lot before to get working Debian Jessie containers before lxc 1.1.5 arrived in jessie-backports. When you get the custom template and its rootfs, you can choose to force the cache to use them or to create a custom template server.

Xavier