I was able to search around and find an existing issue.

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6876

The keyctl syscalls are not setup to handle namespaces which is a requirement of unprivileged containers. I eventually figured out the right seccomp syntax to disable keyctl syscalls:

|2 blacklistkeyctl_chown errno 38 keyctl errno 38|

What I don't understand is how was this not a problem before, and why isn't this in the default lxc config files for debian. And if this is worth reporting to the debian packaging team.

I still have a problem starting the boinc service related to keyctl, but the problem is resolved if I modify the systemd unit file to not switch to the boinc user and remain as root instead.