jjs - mainphrame wrote:
Thanks for the additional info and pointers.

BTW I'd noticed that the ip command showed the extraneous IP missed by ifconfig. But not showing the extra IP was not the problem, rather that the extra IP existed at all. In any event, the removal of netplan and cloud packages facilitate the intended modes of operation in my environment (system type containers using bridged networking and static IPs)

But I do prefer to see the whole system work as intended, so thanks for the netplan details.

BTW - re your recommendation to install LXD via snap - is the preferred install method moving forward?

Removing Netplan will work temporarily, until all the old networking plumbing
is completely removed.

Better to start moving to Netplan now, before some future update removes old
processing of your /etc/network/interfaces files + all your networking simply
stops working.