Be sure you are not also running KVM, VMware, or any other VM software. At this writing, only one virtualization platform can run at a time.

LXC is not a virtualization platform (because it doesn't run multiple kernels on one CPU). So your VirtualBox freeze-ups are probably not related to the use of LXC (but I haven't tried it myself).

--Derek