Hi,

I've been lurking for a long time because I don't have much to contribute,
but I've been thinking about how a project like LXDE fits into the Linux
ecosystem.

One of the main advantages (but not the only advantage) of LXDE is that
it's fast and works on old hardware. How do LXDE developers feel about the
increases in computer power in recent years? I think any standard computer
is capable of running KDE or Gnome without difficulty (assuming someone
wants to run them). In a couple of years, *these *will be the old computers.

Another thing I noticed - when I first used Nautilus in Gnome in 2007, it
was really terrible, and PCManFM was much, much better. Then a couple of
years ago I tried Nautilus again and it was quite good. There are still
things I prefer about PCManFM, but the difference is not great.

Also, although there's obviously a lot of skill in the LXDE team, it's hard
for a small team to maintain a DE that competes with the mainstream ones.
What would happen if the team chose to rewrite Xfce apps such as Thunar,
for example - creating alternatives which are fully compatible with Xfce,
while also submitting the changes to Xfce? Would that be better for Linux
as a whole?

But I know it's even more important to ask what fires you up, so I want to
emphasize: these are just some thoughts and questions from a semi-geeky
Linux user, and you should continue to do what inspires you :-).

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.