Hello,

> What I would like to hear from you is if your road map for the
> foreseeable future includes some change that might make it impractical
> to run LXQt/LXDE on i686 machines, or if you intend to drop support
> for the architecture altogether. We haven't decided on the minimum
> specs we are willing to support/test, but for now PAE support seems
> out and we are still trying to figure out if we want to include
> non-SSE2 CPUs. In any case, we are talking about systems with limited
> resources, so it would be desirable e.g. to keep RAM use of the
> desktop below 512MB.

i686 (Ubuntu and Debian calls it i386) will be supported for some time
now (at least for LXQt) if I can help it. Lubuntu uses it and probably
won't drop it until at minimum the 20.04 or 22.04 cycle (probably longer
than that, we could carry it out to 24.04 or 26.04, we'll see how that
all plays out when we get there), unless we are forced by the Ubuntu
Release Team to drop it (unlikely but possible). So acting in upstream
will be something I would like to do to make sure it stays working on
Lubuntu i386, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work in the
future. If you have any questions for Lubuntu directly, please feel free
to send an email to lubuntu-de...@lists.ubuntu.com and we can talk there.

In respect to LXDE, since it uses GTK 2 I *personally* (not speaking for
upstream) don't know how long it'll last upstream unless we get a GTK 3
or 4 port. But that's irrelevant to i386 support.

Thanks for the email!

--
Simon Quigley
tsimo...@lubuntu.me