That is funny.
I use lynx on a shell service every day and meet with none of these issues. What is more, I have a stand alone copy on my pure dos laptop, and again never have a problem. granted it is just me, but I cannot imagine anything earth that I desire to do that requires window whatsoever, least of all running lynx.
It is commonly said though you create what you expect to find.
I expect success in DOS, and so I find it, no doubt your situation is far from mine.
Karen