After having discovered LyX yesterday, I feel guilty for being one of
the 18000 guys who downloaded AbiWord lastly. I didn't have time yet to
try LyX, but its features look really great, and it seems to be exactly
what I was looking for.

Well, maybe the 'import-word' function of AbiWord explains some of its
success (although it does not work properly yet). I think, however, that
the success of AbiWord is mainly due to the use of GTK+ because:

1) it looks more 'professional' than XForm  ;-)

2) they are dragged by the increasing popularity of Gnome (I'm a
Linux/Gnome user for 5 months and frankly speaking, I heard from AbiWord
much before hearing from LyX, simply because I look generaly first at
the Gnome Site before making wider research. That's probably stupid, but
I think that's what most people do and that probably applies to KDE
users as well).

I understand that the release 1.2 of LyX will have Gnome and KDE ports
(right?), and I really believe this will lead LyX to the success it
deserves. Maybe some communication towards Gnome (or KDE) would make
them include it in their Office Suite?

Congratulation to the LyX team for this nice job!

                              Serge
  • Huh? Amir Karger
    • Re: Huh? Alejandro Aguilar Sierra
    • Serge Barral