"jahonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| 1) When it might be the best time to start spending resources? By that
| I meant the time to start creating the NT port. At the beginning of
| the next year (i.e. year 2000)?

This depends a lot on _what_ you are prepared to help with as you can
see from my tasks list:
http://www.devel.lyx.org/~larsbj/devel-tasks.html there are a lot of
things that we want to be done. Of course I understand that you don't
want to spend resources on features that you are not going to use, but
of course some of the tasks are needed to be done before a port to
another windowing system can be done. Especially the GUi independence
work, and work to shift OS/GUI specific code into support
modules/libraries. As you probably know there already exist a port of
Lyx 1.0 to NT, but using CygWin and posix/X support tools + XServer.

So you also need to decide what tools to use. If you choose using some
posix support tools everything will be a lot easier, even if you want
to be Win-GUI native. I think that full Win32 support will be a _lot_
of work.

| 2) I might be able to get some people to do something during this
| year, but those people are not very skilled. (Students, actually) Are
| there any parts of the development branch which could be divided into
| a few months student project? Would that speed up the process?

help on the gui independence would be very nice.

When we have that in place the beginnings of a port to NT as possible.

Of course if you even could help us get the new LyX kernel (really
buffer structure) going a completed port to NT could be realised
faster :-)

| It might be possible to do some work this fall and next spring. This
| fall could probably be a limited student project and during the
| springtime I could get some skilled people to do the porting...

I don't think much of the coding will require any particular skills,
some C++ and STL, and time to get into the LyX code. You would
probably want them to have some experience on NT gui programming too.

| Are there other ways to speed up the process? We are willing to spend
| some money. But not very much... :-)

What about that NorFa that was mentioned?
Or you could of course sponsor a developers meeting :-) We could even
have a real agenda for the meeting this time. (doh!)

        Lgb