| Lars> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: |
| Lars> Hello, | | I have been trying various compilers with the latest
| Lars> debugstream | branch in cvs. Nothing succeded yet, but there is
| Lars> still hope. Here are | the problems I encountered: | | - with
| Lars> gcc 2.8.1, I get:
|
| Lars> wrt regard to 2.8.1 C++ wise it sucks.
|
| Before I had this particular problem, I have not been able to find a
| case were is was worse than 2.7.x. Therefore, it is better :)

but not by far... 2.95 is coming along though.

| Lars> | I know that Lars will tell me that anybody using gcc 2.8.1
| Lars> deserves | this, but this will not help me much :( Removing
| Lars> std:: in | class DebugStream : public std::ostream { | helps me
| Lars> immensely, but I am not sure Lars will accept this mutilation |
| Lars> of his code...
|
| Lars> If you are using a compiler that is more standard conformant
| Lars> than egcs or gcc 2.95 then the std::'s is needed.
|
| It appears that I need to remove all the std:: which are after a : in
| DebugStream.[Ch]. I'll see if I can find a better workaround.

the std:: are not really needed on gcc 2.95 or egcs. but they won't
harm either. The reason why I added them is because of SGI CC which
needs them.

Could you try changing all the std:: to STD:: or LYXSTD:: and then
have a

#ifdef NEED_STD
#define LYXSTD std
#else
#define LYXSTD
#endif

| Lars> | - when I use DEC cxx as C++ compiler (a very recent one), it
| Lars> chokes on | the <ctype> and friends headers. Do we really need
| Lars> them? It does not | seem to me that they buy us much. If you are
| Lars> interested, they | describe why they did not implement that at
| Lars> the url below: |
| Lars> http://www.unix.digital.com/cplus/docs/rnu.htm#draft_diff_sec
|
| Lars> Tell DEC to get their act together. IMO they are way behind on
| Lars> C++ support...
|
| Since the latest DEC C++ and the only Sun CC (4.2) I have both miss
| these nifty headers, I wonder why we need them. Do they imply a
| simplification of the code? Or is it just that we have the
| satisfaction of using ISO C++?

Yes of course. :-)
if we have those headers I'd really like to use them. Put things into
correct namespaces and provides extra functions to help typesafety.

Wore compilers (like gcc 2.7.x) does not even have <fstream> or
<iostream>... <fstream.h> and <iostream.h> are not usually equivlent
with them and often uses old implementations/definitions of streams.

        Lgb