> Lars> And gcc 2.8.1 shows again that it is not suited for serious C++
> Lars> development...
>
> Somehow I knew you would say that :)

<aol on>
Me too.
<aol off>

<flame on>
Using bleeding edge features is *not* "serious C++ development".
Serious C++ development is about modularization, lean interfaces,
design of re-usable code and stuff like that. Hell, you can do
"serious C++ development" in any programming language. But what is
currently done is far from that. My perception of the "development
process" is that five percent of the developers sprinkle bleeding edge
stuff all over the code, twenty percent try to work
around them because they have to use non-conforming compilers and the
rest struggles to keep up. This is far, far from efficient.

There are quite a few thing I'd like to improve on lyx, I'd like to have
full xfig support, "native" inclusion of .gif and .tiff, a decent file
format and things like that. I have downloaded the latest CVS tree about
two dozen times now, even started a bit of coding now and then - of
course after a round of installing new stuff (be it a new autoconfig or
a new compiler) most of the time. But I usually get fed up after a
couple of hours since the sources are in a really pitiful state.
Implementation of a single function is usually spread over half a dozen
files, each written in a complete different coding style, internal interfaces
and the GUI is a mess,... (etc ad nauseam).

If you'd ask me (And I'm pretty sure, you won't ;-| ): Make a single
stable release and start over from scratch. The *last* step would be to
add compatibility to the existent LyX. I always thought that's what was
intented with the old 1.1 branch?
<flame off>

And no, I won't stop using LyX, because it does a pretty good job for
the things I need to do: write texts with math. But I won't stop
complaining either since I don't like to see valuable resources
(the developer's - i.e. YOUR! - work) wasted.

Andre'

PS: It's Friday, you know ;-)

--
Andre' Poenitz, TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Mathematik
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ... +49 3727 58 1381