For the record (OS/2 compilers):

>From: "Adrian Gschwend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "XFree86 OS/2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Buntspecht News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Loren Bandiera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Luc Van Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Nick Marc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "OS/2 News Service" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Roman Eglin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Steve Wendt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "VOICE Newsletter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        "Warpcast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:41:59 +0200 (CDT)
>Subject: [XFreeOS2] Compiling StarOffice and EGCS problems
>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I talked to some people from StarOffice at Warpstock Europe and they
told me, that they have a serious problem with the OS/2 port of it.
Until now they used to compile the code with VAcpp 3.65 on OS/2 but now
they use "namespaces" in the code and because VAcpp 4.0 does not
support commandline compiling, they can't compile it on OS/2 anymore
(the project is simply too big for the VAcpp 4.0 workframe). On Linux
they use the Pentium optimized version of the GNU compiler and they
tried the same on OS/2. But unfortunately there is a problem in the
OS/2 port:

(Taken from http://www.goof.com/pcg/os2/#Bugs)

Known bugs:

emxomf now traps (sometimes?) when compiling with -g (debug) switch.
This is due to new format of debugging info (DWARF2). I do not know how
to fix this. Use A.OUT format (no -Zomf) for debugging and pmgdb.

Solution: This happens because pgcc uses new stabs format (-gstabs+)
while emxomf understands only the standard stabs debugging info. I've
partialy fixed this by adding a tiny command-line preprocessor to gcc.
It scans argv[] and looks for both -Zomf and -g# where # is a number.
If it finds one, it replaces -g# by -gstabs#. This doesn't always help,
however.
---

As you can see this is a limitation in EMX, we now have to find people
who are able to fix this (which will not be an easy task I think). We
are already in contact with Eberhard Mattes but we need more support.
If you think you are able to fix this, please get in contact with
Oliver Braun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Please JUST reply if you really
think you can help StarDivision.

A StarOffice without debug informations can not be tested and if noone
can fix this limitation, Sun can not provide a new version for OS/2 !
So you see this is important for the future of StarOffice on OS/2.

Thanks for your support

Adrian Gschwend
@ OS/2 Netlabs
http://www.netlabs.org

We have released a.out (no -Zomf) till now, but for dll support (which
was rock solid with 1.04 in my tests) one should better move to -Zomf.
But then you can strip the binaries, so that no debugging code is left.
So the problem should be limited to the rare case that you must debug a
omf dll and depend on the stabs conversion to omf and dbg386. (Note you
can always try to build for debugging an a.out dll, but this is no
fun.)

Greets,

        Arnd