John> Maybe we should have a subdir with several small sourcelets and
John> a Makefile desiged to test whether or not the compiler supports
John> certain ANSI C++ features yet. We could ask folks to mail in
John> what they find. Then we'll have some sense of which compilers do
John> what.

configure.in reads:

### Some checks on what the C++ compiler can(not) do
LYX_CXX_MUTABLE
LYX_CXX_PARTIAL
LYX_CXX_EXPLICIT
dnl we do not use stl stack, or at least not on gcc 2.7, which was the
dnl cause for this test.
dnl LYX_CXX_STL_STACK
LYX_CXX_STL_STRING
LYX_CXX_NAMESPACES
LYX_CXX_CHEADERS
LYX_STD_COUNT
dnl we disable rtti for now
dnl LYX_CXX_RTTI
AC_CHECK_HEADERS(ostream istream)
LYX_CXX_STL_MODERN_STREAMS

In fact, all of these checks are not used currently. Note that the
namespace check only checks that STL puts things in std::.

JMarc