Lars> You, tell me. All this was added a lot later than my initial _X_
Lars> dead_key support.

In fact, it is you who added this code in lyxlookup.C.

Lars> Is this deadkey handling only wrong when a keymap is used? or
Lars> always?

OK, there is code in lyxrc.C like:
  bindKey("~C-~S-~M-dead_acute",           LFUN_ACUTE);

We could maybe conditionize it to some lyxrc variable to select
whether LyX should take over the handling of dead keys. I think there
should be an option allowing dead keys to work like in any other X
app.