I've got a bit more faith in Andre's tex2lyx converter. Using LaTeX to
translate LaTeX isn't just a cool hack---it happens to be the best way
to read LaTeX. That is, we know that LaTeX won't have any trouble reading
LaTeX input, even if it isn't "well-behaved".

What that means is that you won't be struggling with a lot of the
disadvantages I mentioned in my previous email.

(1) we know that optional arguments and commands without braces will be
handled OK.

(2) If you can get rid of the Perl wrapper, users won't need Perl, LeX, or
anything. We know they've got LaTeX. (Even if you can't get rid of it, it's
still significantly smaller.)

(3) If we get some LaTeX gurus to work on it, unknown stuff can probably be
perfectly isolated in TeX mode blocks (um, insets).

(4) We won't have any of that "I can't help you because I don't know Perl"
whining. :)

I think that badly-behaved LaTeX may still be your downfall, though. For
example, it looks like you translate {[} into a bracket. But what about a
plain [, which is probably how a lot of people will write it?

Anyway, this seems like an easier method than ltx2x, and one that will get
results sooner.

I'm still wondering, though. When exactly did we all decide reLyX should
retire?

-Amir