Bennett Helm schrieb:
I agree with the last sentence, but notice that the patch doesn't do this! When change tracking is turned off, it is entirely possible to delete -- remove from the file -- text that is marked as deleted.
Right. Even if we prohibited it, the user may always accept deleted text (such that it is gone) or reject a deletion and change the text afterwards. After all, the user is always able to edit his text.

Nonetheless, I think even manual replace ought to skip deleted text. It's not expected behavior even on manual replace to replace deleted text with undeleted text (as the patch currently allows). And I don't think we should replace deleted text with deleted text either: that obscures the document history which is part of the point of change tracking.
IMHO, "find & replace" should always ignore deleted text, in CT mode as well as in non-CT mode.

Michael