Dov Feldstern wrote:
Miki Dovrat wrote:
I was going to say, let the cursor always stay where it is, and the user will learn to press END (end of line) to move it to continue typing. It is logical, (not in the "logical" direction sense), expected and easily adapted to by the user, as there are no surprises there.

It doesn't seem logical at all to me, though I guess I user could get used to it. But I'm glad you've dropped this idea... ;)

Abdel's idea is even better. I second it.

When writing, lyx will assume you want to jump to the end of line, but when editing, it will assume you don't!!

How does one differentiate between "writing" and "editing"? By whether I'm at the end of a paragraph or not?

This is what (I think) I said somewhere in this thread: in order to get the behavior to be more intuitive, you have to start using heuristics which try to figure out "what did the user mean this time?". And the nature of heuristics is that they are sometimes right, sometimes wrong; and they certainly make the code more complicated. So yes, it's a possibility, but we should consider carefully if the heuristics are correct, and whether we want to implement them in each case...

Also, heuristics make the application behave differently in different situations (that's there purpose!) --- which means that the application is less predictable unless the user exactly understands how the heuristic works...

Therefore, I would try to stay away from heuristics if possible, unless they are absolutely intuitive (and the heuristic that I provided above, I think, is not so intuitive).

And, the fact is, I think that in this specific case, LyX's behavior is perfectly logical and intuitive, and almost always what I want it to be. If you think otherwise, please explain again exactly what the specific situation is, how you got to that situation, and what you think LyX *should* do in that case...