On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Ramon Flores wrote:

Richard Heck wrote:

Alfredo Braunstein wrote:
 07. A summary of a written work or speech, usually analyzed in headings
       and subheadings.

   7, 12, 15 (your dictionary is a bit redundant) ;-)

In this sense, an outline might look like this:
I. Introduction
A. First Topic
B. Second Topic
II. Section One
A. First Issue
i. First sub-issue

etc. I'm not sure any of the definitions, other than (7), quite get at this
meaning. But maybe one would call that a "formal outline" or something of the
sort.

And what is the difference between "Outline" and "TOC" ?

Outline is more general than TOC, and can contain more that just the headings. In fact, it doesn't really have to contain the headings at all.

I've used outlines ('disposition' in Swedish) as a tool that helps me to structure and plan the work before, and during, the writing process.

An outline for a scientific paper could go like this (in a bullet form):

----------------
* Introduction - introduce the problem area to the reader, make it
  interesting so that he'll continue reading.
** Describe application 'X' as suitable for this solution.

** General background - give more general background and describe related
   work

** Theoretical background - go throuh related theory to prepare reader
   for the new stuff

* Theory/hypothesis - introduce my new cool theory

* Experiments - describe an experiment I've done to support my theory.

* Results - describe the results.
** Remember to emphasize aspect 'Z' of experiment one.

* Conclusion and discussions

It doesn't have to contain the exact section headings of the final paper, for me it's a help to _outline_ the flow of the paper.

Hope this helps
/Christian